Wednesday, December 10, 2008

THE DAY OF RECKONING 1st DEC.

A view of Morgans Bay

I boarded on time and slept the whole flight. Arrived in EL on time. Don & Louisa (16yrs), Cheryl’s daughter, fetched me. Off to Mkulu Kei we went, towards the Transkei, near Haga Haga, close to Morgans Bay.
I meet Ashleigh, a volunteer here for 3 weeks. Cheryl & Don are ex Rhodesians (I feel at home immediately). I unpack and am stoked at the fact that the horses are milling around right outside my bedroom window!
We spend the rest of the afternoon chilling between the two paddocks close to the house, getting familiar with and introducing ourselves to the horses. What a feeling of nature and freedom combined. We are also introduced to some 5 cats and two dogs (Boytjie and the very excitable Maya). Welcome to farm life. We are warned of the snakes which the cats bring in to the house. Then we are told about the Rain Spiders (as big as your hand) all over. If anyone knows me, they will know these are my two pet hates, all in one. I am charmed to say the least. Oh and mind you don’t go out at night, there are Jackals! I love the thought of farm life….. Tonight we saw the line of Jupiter, the Moon and the evening star, an event which apparently only takes place every 200 years (and I might be comfortable at the rear of a horse by then)!
Cheryl has a multitude of tasks ahead of peak season. She has taken on making her own saddles and bridles – No mild task! Cheryl, I can see, thrives on stress and the pressure of it all. I offer to cook dinner for the first night. Ashleigh and I get stuck into the kitchen. Pork chops, boerewors, baked potatoes and salad are on the menu. We eat and we bed ourselves early, prepared for what lies ahead. We are warned this week will be easy. Peak starts from the week end with all the holiday makers coming down. It is raining now and cooling things down.
M

No comments: