
It rained the whole night long and came down in showers this morning. We left home at 08h45. Only five of us riding, we went out. I took Bliss this morning. He did not seem so skittish today. However, I was a bit apprehensive on the beach with him and held back on the canter. I get nervous with Bliss when he seems to focus on so much of what’s going on around him rather than the ride. A few more outings with him and I’m sure I will calm down for the canter on the beach (Remember, he’s the one who Cheryl had to stand her horse in the way of my last canter with him, to stop him). We get home early for lunch today and then head off for the afternoon ride.
For the first time since my arrival here, I rode Zeus this afternoon. He is a gorgeous Frisian Stallion and a scholar and a gentleman. One can sit a trot on him without even posting. It starts to rain but we carry on. Down on the beach we prepare to canter. I am tail end Charlie and prepare to canter behind the kids on the ride. They get into a very brief canter and I spur Zeus on to canter and my giggles begin. Being Frisian, his canter is so, so, very different to the other horses. He has a very large stride, almost like the motion of a train I guess. I sit so relaxed on him. We stop and he backs off from the waves coming onto him. He is scared and starts to shy. Cheryl shouts to me to force him to face the waves, all the while he is backing off. I force him, he doesn’t like it but it is the only way he will confront his discomfort and insecurity with the waves. Horses can also get motion sickness from the waves returning to the sea. We have a small canter back to the river mouth and Cheryl takes the kids and tells Don and me we can stay behind for a proper canter. Don is riding Nsync. We head back up the beach and canter back. Again, my giggles begin, yet it is such a beautiful canter. We get home. I’m in the shower to warm up from the rain. I’m ready for an early night!
For the first time since my arrival here, I rode Zeus this afternoon. He is a gorgeous Frisian Stallion and a scholar and a gentleman. One can sit a trot on him without even posting. It starts to rain but we carry on. Down on the beach we prepare to canter. I am tail end Charlie and prepare to canter behind the kids on the ride. They get into a very brief canter and I spur Zeus on to canter and my giggles begin. Being Frisian, his canter is so, so, very different to the other horses. He has a very large stride, almost like the motion of a train I guess. I sit so relaxed on him. We stop and he backs off from the waves coming onto him. He is scared and starts to shy. Cheryl shouts to me to force him to face the waves, all the while he is backing off. I force him, he doesn’t like it but it is the only way he will confront his discomfort and insecurity with the waves. Horses can also get motion sickness from the waves returning to the sea. We have a small canter back to the river mouth and Cheryl takes the kids and tells Don and me we can stay behind for a proper canter. Don is riding Nsync. We head back up the beach and canter back. Again, my giggles begin, yet it is such a beautiful canter. We get home. I’m in the shower to warm up from the rain. I’m ready for an early night!

No comments:
Post a Comment