Wednesday, December 17, 2008

LET’S START TESTING MY SKILLS 13th DEC.

It is Michaela’s last day. We head off for the morning ride. Cheryl wants me to ride Bliss today in the hope I can stop him from any nervousness which may have been instilled in him from Ashleigh’s last ride. Bliss is a young horse at 4 years old. Up until now, I have ridden the older horses from 10yrs old up. I am keen and perhaps a tad nervous. Ashleigh had told me how Bliss shakes his head all the time and goes farming (veers off in his own direction when trotting or cantering). We are walking down the road towards Morgan Bay (the most beautiful view of the sea). We see the Whales, three of them frolicking in the sea. Bliss’s’ head is shaking a tad but I control it. He tries to shy periodically; I am cool on him and manage a perfectly good ride.
We grab a bite and set up for the afternoon ride. Cheryl allocates Apollo to me to ride. Again, a young horse at nearly 4 years old. Apollo is a Frisian Stallion. Apollo also likes to go farming. But what a beautiful ride. We are walking toward Morgan Bay, when a huge truck is coming towards us. There is a ripple effect. Michaela’s horse shies, Bliss shies and lastly Apollo. Shoo, I am still in the saddle! For the first time since my arrival, I am cantering without holding onto the saddle. I scream in delight as Don passes me going up the hill towards the cliffs “I’ve left the saddle”. Don screeches to a halt to check I’m okay. My bad, having said what I said, Don had visions of the saddle being left behind on the road. Sorry Don! We now enter the area to climb up the cliffs and it’s off to another canter. Don is behind me on Solo (a palomino) who is so energetic! Again I show Don I canter with both hands on the reins, and again I announce “See Don, no saddle”. At that precise moment I am now shouting “AND I’VE LOST MY STIRRUP”. The adrenalin is pumping. It is awesome. I am getting so much more confidence at my new abilities every single day.
Back home, it is time for Michaela to pack up. I shall have a peaceful sleep tonight knowing there will be no tricks. I shall miss Michaela (the rat pack). We have dinner and are all tired and get to bed just after 23h00. Yes, Michaela had put an ice-cream container under my pillow – No spider, just a packet of biltong in it for me! I look forward to seeing you in the New Year Michaela J.
M

No comments: