Luisa is going through to her school in East London this morning. It is her last day of school this year. She is staying overnight with a friend and then flies to Joburg tomorrow to be with her Dad for Christmas.
Laura arrives. Laura is going to back Thumbelina today. She is a black Friesian cross miniature, one of only three in the world, 3 year old and about 12 Hands. I watch with interest whilst she catches Thumbelina. Some 30 minutes later, Laura is walking Thumbelina all the while giving voice commands. She has only a halter on. Cheryl asks me to go and help by encouraging Thumbelina on from the rear. (Yeah, right Cheryl). Laura knows better and offers me the halter whilst she encourages Thumbelina from the rear. Within 5 seconds Thumbelina reads my lack of knowledge and starts to take me for a walk. We get it under control for about 3 minutes and then Thumbelina decides to show who is boss! It is definitely not me. And that is it, she is off and I surely let go, having been dragged with her for about 10 metres. About 30 minutes later, we get her back and start again, this time I just walk next to Laura and watch with keen interest. The time is right now to place the saddle on Thumbelina. I watch in awe as Thumbelina does not so much as flinch at having anything on her back (so much for the movies). Laura walks her around with the saddle on her back for some time before even attempting to get onto the saddle. The backing is done ever so gently and in stages. Only a good hour later does Laura start to place her weight over the saddle (whilst she is still firmly rooted to the ground). Then bit by bit, she places her weight in the stirrups (on the one stirrup and then back down). Eventually, Laura is in the saddle and Thumbelina is fine with this. I see so much skill in what goes on here.
Again we must round up the horses in the field to take them through to the stable yard. The rain has stopped. No problem, off we all go. The horses are driving us wild. We have far to go to find the horses today who are split up around the field. We round up the first lot, about 20 of them and get them off. Just as we get to the stables, Cheryl tells us we need to go back as Ayanda, (Cheryl’s’ Jack of all trades), has spotted more horses at the top of the field where we were. Don, Ashleigh, Ayanda and I go back. The feet are sore and I am tired, but the excitement of another round up restores my energy level. Getting to the top of the field, I hear the thud of hooves coming. I’m too late as they pass me and head straight down to the bottom of the field. I run and manage to get them to cross over towards the side we are herding them to. Now, I am on my own. There are 8 horses. I have them cornered, but they are cleverer than I am. They go into the thicket of the bush. Now I know it’s time to test my skills. I am nervous that in brushing them out, they will gallop back over to the other side. I am coming up their rears and the fear of being booted comes to the fore. Cheryl always says “Make yourself big” and be assertive. Well, I did it, all on my own. I got the horses out and now, with Ashleigh’s help, up to the gate. Now the trek begins once again to the stable yard. My poor feet are really taking a hammering. I cannot wait to get home to take off my riding boots.
We have lunch. I am exhausted and opt for an afternoon nap. I am grateful for the break in a ride today. We have to be up early tomorrow. We have clients for a 09h30 ride. We have lamb riblets for supper. Again, Cheryl forces me in the kitchen!
M
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment