Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A TRADEGY AT MORGAN BAY TODAY 16th DEC

I am up early. I need to try and wash this hair in a bucket. 45 minutes later I am feeling like new and with clean hair. Janine, 15 yrs old, arrives from East London this morning for a five day stay. There are 15 riders to organize this morning. They are a mixed group of non-riders, beginners, kids etc. I am riding Apollo. Laura takes Atlas again. Janine is on Maverick. I am tail end Charlie, once again. We have a heavy wind this morning and clear skies. We are off. It’s like watching a long snake. The problems start with the rider on Robin before we cross the river at the second crossing. Robin is going to have a field day. We cannot teach the rider anything. She is sitting wrong, is halting on the rein the whole time whilst kicking Robin on. Whilst approaching the first gate, Atlas is getting skittish. Laura manages him. We are through the second gate and still battling Robin’s rider. Laura needs to dismount Atlas to spur Robin on, who has now tried to kick at Cheryl whilst coaxing him on. Cheryl is going to the front of the line to see what problem is happening there. There is tumble weed rolling around in front of the horses. When Laura tries to mount, all hell lets’ loose. Atlas is now in the middle of the road, cars coming from both directions. I shout to Cheryl to warn her of what’s going on. In that split second, the wind picked up even more, tossing plastic bags across the road. Oh deary me, is that Janine I see on the floor? Maverick has had a plastic bag come directly onto his forelegs and spooked him. Cheryl is getting tenser. It’s a long line of clients to be responsible for! She instructs all to move on and riders on the ground are to now walk until we get to a safer zone to remount.
Whilst passing the Hotel, the owner comes to tell Cheryl it is not wise to take the ride to the beach this morning…… Cheryl comes to inform me of the bad news. A holiday maker (43 year old man), has drowned this morning and they have paramedics on the beach. It unfolds that he was swimming with his two older kids this morning and they clearly got caught in the riptide. The lifesavers sent a raft out to them. The Father told them to take the kids and come back for him. It was too late. What a sad event. We did not even go to the cliffs today. We headed back to the stables. I ask Cheryl if I can submit a day’s leave for tomorrow. I am finished! Cheryl makes a deal with me…. She will have this afternoon off and I can take tomorrow afternoon off. I am sooooooo looking forward to it. My body is aching and I am burnt to a frazzle coupled with wind burn!
We did not have a chance to go home before the next ride. We saddled up and were off. Again I rode Apollo. His responses to me today were brilliant. I have gained so much confidence from riding this Stallion. Nikkita and Jordan have joined us for the ride today. We head straight for the beach. We also have little Mia with us. She is riding Alex. He is just too strong for her and keeps eating at the grass. She has lost her nerve and no longer wants to trot. Laura and Jordan stay behind with Mia whilst we go off for our canter. Gee, I so enjoy Apollo. He is a scholar and gentlemen. We are on the canter back and I have Nikita behind me. I hear screams and then tears. I look back. Nikkita is building sand castles whilst Bestman is running for help. Bestman, her EX MOUNT, runs for help. September rescues Bestman, whilst Don dismounts and joins in building sand castles. Hee hee. Oh well, that’s now TWO chocolate cakes in ONE day. Nikkita remounts and we head on with our last canter home.
We get home at 18h30. Don and Cheryl go off to refill our water cans. Janine and I walk the paddock with dogs and cats and then start the supper. We are all tired tonight. We have Pork Chops, chips, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms. We all eat little. The tiredness takes over. We have a big ride set for the morning.
M

No comments: