Thursday, January 15, 2009

I, THE GERMAN, FOR TODAY, NOW WITH AIR BAGS! 5th JAN

The Knee

We bring the horses in for the morning ride and feed and tack up. There are 18 of us going out this morning. We tack up and start to get the clients mounted. I have tacked Buckle up and comment to Don how friendly Buckle is this morning, even helping me to put his bridle on. I tighten his girth and get the client to mount. I walk around Buckle to tighten his girth one more notch. As I lift the flap of the saddle, Buckle takes a bite out of my back. I am in shock and ready to boot the s%#^%$ out of him. I have to compose myself, as I cannot put the client at risk. I leave Buckle and retreat to the stables, to have my own personal cry baby session, with Nsync, who I am riding this morning. Debs and I take out the kids group, whilst the rest go on ahead with the more experienced riders. We meet up with the other riders, entering at the first gate. I see Don and enquire as to whether their group had met up with any Germans on the beach? With hindsight, perhaps not an appropriate question. We return to the stables, just in time to grab a bite and tack up again for the next ride.
We are taking 6 kids riding this afternoon. We begin with mounting them and start to prepare our own mounts. Cheryl has decided I am riding Hermes this afternoon. Hermes has only recently been backed and is a baby at 3 years old. I take Hermes to the “Launch Pad”, to mount him. Cheryl is giving the lessons to the kids. September brings Zeus out and is standing close by to me at the launch pad. One of the Mothers asks me whether we are going to put safety belts on the kids I have a quiet chuckle to myself and tell her not to worry, the kids are safe. Debs is already in the front of the line with Midnight. I put my foot in the stirrup and begin to mount, whilst Hermes decides to start walking off and then bursts into a gallop. I am not too sure what happened next! What I do realize though, is that I am on the ground, on top of a Mother of one of the kids going on the ride, about 10 meters away from the launch pad, and Hermes has gone with the wind. It is the Mother who had just enquired about safety belts….. and, she had been advising Debs on “Vichy Cream” for sunburn. Well, we have decided, having seen how the client had landed with her face in a cow pat, she was clearly referring to Sh876tty cream!
I decided not to continue with my outride and to return home instead, possibly to mend my dented pride and knee, which took a serious knock (possibly to the clients head). When the rest of the clan returned home, Debs doctored me with Ice packs and Myprodol. A few good laughs were had tonight whilst preparing dinner and recapping my attack on the client. She is in our thoughts however, having just been informed that she has been admitted to East Londons’ hospital, with concussion.

No comments: