Certain things have happened in my life over the past few months, which resulted in me deciding to go to East London. Why East London? Well, I decided I wanted to do something along the lines of working with traumatised animals and get them through this difficult stage of their lives. I considered all types of animals, from Baboons, to Tigers, Elephants and even bears. Having been accepted and invited to go and work with wildlife in Thailand, I was then accepted to go on a working holiday in East London, to work on Horse trails coupled with the rehabilitation of abused, unwanted and neglected horses.
The Trail also has a Horse Riding Development Programme with the backbone of the project being skills transfer, aimed at children between the ages of 10 to 16 yrs, from families who do not have the finances to enable the child to have this kind of experience. In the programme, not only will I improve my own knowledge and riding skills but I will be given the opportunity to teach others or work at a stud and riding stable. I will be exposed to awesome facets of horsemanship including grooming, foaling (pulling out foals), halter training foals to backing them, training green horses, helping with medical problems and exercising trail horses, learn the day to day management of an established concern and become a second guide.
Sounds sooooooo cool and having been a rider before and knowing the unconditional love and reward you get from working with horses, I could not resist I leave 1st December 2008 - One way ticket in the hope of finding, not only myself but my vocation in life!
Wow, who can believe it's ONE MONTH to Christmas? And only 6 more sleeps for me.
My past month has been preparing for my trip. So so much has had to change in my life. God willing, He has created the most awesome opportunity for me. The hardest and most emotional preparation perhaps, has been making sure my three kids will all be okay. Candice (23) lives in her own spot with my beautiful Grandson, Braden and her Frenchman beau, Didier, Michael (21) lives with me and will now have to fend for himself, and Nicolas (16) is going to live with his Dad for the next 2 years. I have never been "Childless" for the past 23 years!
So all is ready with the last thing done yesterday in kitting out myself with all my riding gear. Was so exciting. This week is busy with so many people to say good bye to. Thursday will be my hardest farewell. Saturday is a final parting party with the family. Sunday to pack and rest and prepare for the hard yet rewarding labour from 1st December 2008.
I find myself sad, scared and yet excited! Similar to the beauty of the Drakensberg which can encounter 4 seasons in one day, I am encountering 3 emotions all at once.
M
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment